If you are looking for periodontal disease life insurance approval for you or a family member, you have come to the right place. If you have periodontal disease and are looking for life insurance, there are things the insurance company will want to know about your medical condition.
For mild to moderate cases of periodontal disease, the insurance company underwriting process is fairly routine. For more advanced cases of periodontal disease (also called gum disease), the insurance companies will become more concerned about your health condition.
What is gum disease?
Gum disease occurs when there is an infection in the tissue or bonds surrounding the teeth. Gum disease is also called periodontal disease.
The two types of gum disease are:
- Gingivitis – a gum disease that only affects the gums is called gingivitis. It affects the soft tissue surrounding the teeth in your mouth.
- Periodontitis – a gum disease that is more serious is called periodontitis. Periodontitis affects the area below the gums and damages the tissues that support your teeth.
What are the causes of gum disease?
The growth of germs (called bacteria) on the teeth and gums is a known cause of gum disease. Plaque, a clear sticky substance your mouth produces, is loaded with bacteria that can lead to gum disease.
What causes gum disease?
- Not brushing or cleaning your teeth
- Not getting regular dental health checkups and cleanings
- Smoking or using chewing tobacco
- Heredity gum disease within your family
- Having a weakened immune system
- A diet low in vitamins and minerals
- A diet high in sugary foods and carbohydrates
People who use tobacco have a much higher occurrence of gum disease than those who do not use tobacco. The gum disease they experience is more severe, often leads to tooth loss, and is harder to treat.
High levels of stress and diseases like diabetes, AIDS, or leukemia can contribute to a compromised immune system, which is more favorable to the formation of gum disease.
What are the symptoms of gum disease or periodontitis?
- Healthy gums fit snugly around the teeth and are firm and pink; they do not bleed easily. Gingivitis causes:
- Gums that are red, tender, and swollen
- Gums that bleed easily during flossing or brushing
- Usually, gingivitis is not painful and you may not see or notice the symptoms or get the proper dental treatment you need.
- With periodontitis, symptoms are more evident, such as:
- Bad breath that won’t seem to go away
- Gums that pull away from your teeth
- Puss coming from different areas in your gums
- Changes in how your teeth fit together when you clench or bite
- Loose teeth
How is gum disease treated?
Early treatment is the best defense against gum disease. Early treatment can help prevent permanent gum damage, control oral infections, and prevent loss of teeth from your mouth. The best preventive measures are:
- Floss your teeth once daily and brush your teeth two times a day.
- Visit your dentist for routine checkups and cleanings.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products.
What do periodontal disease, gingivitis, and periodontitis have to do with life insurance?
When a life insurance company is deciding whether to offer you life insurance, they look at all matters related to your health.
If you are a smoker, you have a higher chance of experiencing periodontal disease. Between smoking and periodontal disease, the insurance companies are more concerned about your tobacco use and adverse impacts to your health because of your tobacco use.
Smoking is one of the leading causes of cancer and causes many harmful health conditions within your body. Smoking usually will double or triple the cost of your life insurance premium.
Those with advanced cases of periodontal disease will often be prescribed powerful antibiotics to eliminate oral infections. Oral infections can affect the entire body and compromise or weaken your immune system.
The insurance companies will look at your current and past prescriptions to assess your overall health before they give periodontal disease life insurance. All medications will be reviewed before issuing your life insurance policy.
Having periodontitis or gum disease may be an indicator you have a poor diet or poor personal care and grooming habits. If you’re not taking care of your body, your actions may affect your life insurance eligibility in premiums.
What other factors do insurance companies consider?
Insurance companies will look at all factors surrounding your health and insurability before they approve your periodontal disease life insurance. They will be interested in the following areas in addition to any gum disease:
- Diseases or medical conditions
- Past diseases or medical conditions
- Do you smoke?
- Have you smoked or used tobacco in the past?
- Past medications
- Driving record
- Criminal record
- Hobbies and lifestyle choices
- And more
Insurance companies will look at your entire health history when determining your life insurance eligibility. Your oral health is one of the many factors insurance companies will consider before issuing a life insurance policy.
Who should I buy life insurance from?
With all the variables that can happen with our health and our bodies as we age, it is in your best interest to work with an insurance agent with access to many different life insurance companies.
Each life insurance company views medical conditions differently. Some insurance companies are more forgiving with periodontal disease life insurance and some health conditions versus others.
Going with the wrong insurance company can cost you hundreds of dollars a year and thousands of dollars over your life insurance term. Applying to the wrong insurance company can get you denied for life insurance, which will make it harder to get life insurance in the future.
At Life Wealth Win, we specialize in healthy to high-risk life insurance cases. We work with over 30 life insurance companies to get you the best life insurance plans and the best pricing.
If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease and looking for periodontal disease life insurance, call us to help you understand your life insurance options.
At Life Wealth Win, we specialize in healthy to high-risk life insurance cases. We can help you understand your life insurance options with periodontal disease, gum disease, or any other medical problems.
We work with clients across the nation to get the best life insurance rates possible. If you have periodontal disease, we can help you get the best life insurance rates.